COVID-19 IMPACT INFORMATION AND TEMPORARY BUILDING CLOSURE
LAST UPDATED 1/8/2020
We at the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes share the same feelings that many of you have - nervousness, uncertainty, and concern for everyone impacted by the recent events surrounding the coronavirus pandemic. The safety and well-being of our community, visitors and staff continues to be our number one priority during this time.
In response to these concerns, and in line with governmental recommendations and guidelines that are quickly evolving, the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes’ building is temporarily closed to the public until further notice in accordance with the state's recent amendment to the Stay at Home Order. Our staff will continue to work behind the scenes and our management team will monitor this evolving situation and share any additional information as it comes to light.
Due to the temporary closure, all scheduled programs and events during the outlined time will be cancelled or postponed, and moved to a virtual format. We will update you on any further decisions, including a re-opening plan, as it becomes available. We are working through a re-opening plan to ensure the safety of our staff and visitors, but do not yet have a firm re-opening date. Updates will also be posted on our website and social media channels.
- Due to the uncertainty of when our facility will reopen we have decided to postpone all indoor rentals at this time. Currently, our reservation calendar is open for outdoor rentals for the Rose Foundation Gazebo on the ADA accessible All People's Trail and other outdoor spaces. Thank you for your understanding.
TRAIL USAGE INFORMATION:
Trails and outdoor facilities will remain free and open to the public from dawn until dusk. We understand the restorative, healing, stress-relieving power of connecting with nature and we encourage each of you to get outside, in small numbers, to enjoy our trails, habitats, and green spaces with your families and friends.
If you are planning a visit to the trails and habitats at the Nature Center, please follow these simple guidelines to ensure the safety and well-being of all visitors:
- Wear a mask for the protection of others. Do not visit if you are exhibiting symptoms of illness.
- Please minimize handrail and bench usage as much as possible. Trail railings will be sprayed down and sanitized three times each week with an eco-friendly product.
- Practice good hygiene by washing and/or sanitizing your hands before and after trail use.
- Share the trail: maintain at least 6 feet between you and other visitors.
- Keep group sizes to less than 10, or fewer if possible.
- Cover sneezes or coughs with tissue, and then quickly dispose. Alternatively, use the inside of your elbow to cover sneezes or cough and immediately wash hands or use sanitizer.
- Use a distant wave, or similar, to greet friends and other visitors; refrain from hugs and handshakes.
- Plan ahead: our restrooms and water fountains are closed.
If you or a family member has recently traveled, or been in contact with someone known to have COVID-19, the CDC recommends that you self-monitor for symptoms and fever for 14 days upon return and self-isolate by staying home. We echo this by asking that you reschedule any visit to the Nature Center for a later time if you fall into this category or are experiencing any signs of illness.
This is not a decision we have taken lightly. Our staff and board of trustees are dedicated to taking a proactive approach and helping control the spread of this illness with any and all precautions needed to do so. Much of our staff will be working from home, and I am grateful for their dedication and flexibility as we continue with the many ongoing operational and capital projects to enhance visitor experiences and connections to nature.
Thank you for your understanding and continued support. We have full confidence in our community and staff coming together at this time for the safety and well-being of all and look forward to welcoming you back to the Nature Center in the near future. Together, we will support each other through this most unusual time.
Yours in health and wellness,
President & CEO